Education and Training
A key component of the CTSA mission is the education and training of translational researchers. Ensuring that investigators have the comprehensive skills they need to effectively and efficiently accelerate discoveries toward better health is essential.
The CTSA program supports two types of formal clinical research training awards at CTSA institutions. All CTSA institutions have a KL2 program, which offers formal research training experience to scholars who already have an M.D., Ph.D., or equivalent doctoral degree. Many CTSA institutions also include programs that provide predoctoral trainees with an introduction to clinical and translational research through the TL1 program.
In addition to the formal training programs there are a wealth of training resources available to all investigators interested in translational research, some of which are listed below.
- Virtual University portal (Iowa) - an online repository of courses used to train CTSA scholars, trainees, and mentors as well as members of the greater research community.
- Mentor Development Programs Course Materials (UCSF) - seminars focusing on different aspects of mentorship
- ITHS Self-Directed Learning Center (University of Washington) - brings together a variety content in areas such as research initiation, data analysis and management, professional regulations and skills, and innovation and commercialization
- Core Competencies in Clinical and Translational Research - These 14 competencies are thought to shape the training experiences of junior investigators by defining the skills, attributes, and knowledge that can be shared across multidisciplinary teams of clinician-scientists.
- Special Interest Competencies
- NIH Office of Clinical Research Training and Medical Education
- NIH Office of Clinical Research Training and Medical Education - Other Training/Educational Resources
- NIH Medical Research Scholars Program
- NIH Office of Intramural Training and Education
- NIH Research Training & Research Career Development
NIH Loan Repayment Programs
NIH Sabbatical in Clinical Research Management